Submit your CITI Research and Ethics completion certificate with a score of 80% or higher. Or take the CITI Research and Ethics course and then submit your completion certificate with a score of 80% or higher. Apply what you have learned in your CITI training to complete the Ethics Screening Tool.
All doctoral learners must complete the CITI Research and Ethics course. Capella University uses CITI as the outside ethics course training with modules related to all types of human subject research.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Finalize a project charter to address a clinical or organizational problem or take advantage of an opportunity for improvement within a health care setting.
- Submit completed Ethics Screening Tool.
- Competency 2: Apply strategies to maintain a climate of mutual respect and shared values.
- Complete CITI Research and Ethics course with a passing score of 80 percent or higher.
Note: The assessments in this course must be completed in the order presented; subsequent assessments should be built on both your earlier work and your instructor’s feedback on earlier assessments. If you choose to submit assessments prematurely, without considering and integrating your instructor’s feedback, your assessment may be returned ungraded, resulting in your loss of an assessment attempt.
This assessment requires you to submit two pieces of documentation: your proof of successful completion of the CITI training course, and your completed Ethics Screening Tool form.
Part 1: To successfully complete the CITI training portion of this assessment, choose one of the following:
1) If you have previously taken the CITI Research and Ethics course, submit your completion certificate with a score of 80% or higher to the submission area.
- Note: Your CITI certificate is valid for three years from the date of completion. Make sure your certificate will be valid through data collection and analysis. If your CITI certificate is not currently valid or if it expires prior to completing your doctoral project, it is your responsibility to update and complete your CITI certification. Your certificate must identify Capella University.
2) Complete the CITI Research and Ethics course with a score of 80% or higher:
- Go to the Research Ethics Education page to find out more about CITI training and how to register and take the training.
- The modules generally take 2–4 hours to complete. You can stop and start throughout the modules.
- Upload your completion certificate to the submission area once you have received a score of 80%or above.
- Remember to save your completion certificate somewhere it is easily accessible for you. You will need to use your completion certificate at other points in your doctoral program, such as in your Institutional Review Board application.
Part 2: Apply what you have learned in your CITI training to complete the Ethics Screening Tool [DOCX]. This tool will allow your instructor to identify potential ethical issues with your proposed project. The screening tool will also help you ascertain whether you are proposing a research study or a quality/process improvement project. For more information regarding the requirements for the DNP doctoral project, go to DNP Doctoral Project Manual [PDF] and Programs of Research: School of Nursing and Health Sciences (NHS) [PDF].
Submit both your CITI certificate and your completed Ethics Screening Tool as attachments in this assessment.