Please read the two articles that are attached to the assignment. After you read the two articles, please answer all 11 questions in a Word document that are based on the articles. This is an individual assignment.
QUESTIONS BASED ON THE ARTICLES
- How does Staples in the article, “Just Walk on By: Black Men and Public Space,” describe himself? How is he perceived by others?
- Staples begins his essay by discussing the effect of his presence on another person. However, others’ reactions to his presence affect him in return, andhe spends much of the essay explaining the emotional and practical effects he experiences as a consequence of his interactions. How is the complication and paradox of these situations expressed by the last sentence about Staples’ whistling classical music being the “equivalent of the cowbell that hikers wear when they know they are in bear country” (paragraph 12)?
- How does Ortiz Cofer in the article, “The Myth of the Latin Woman: I Just Met a Girl Named Maria,” describe herself? How is she perceived by others?
- What do the two articles have in common if anything?
- The person with whom you find yourself identifying in a story sometimes depends on your own identity. With whom did you identify at the start of Staples’ essay and Ortiz Cofer’s essay, and how did it affect your reading of the full piece?
- Are Staples and Ortiz Cofer describing stereotyping, discrimination, or racism? Explain.
- As New Yorkers, particularly from the Bronx or Harlem or Washington Heights, we all like to think that we are open minded. However, how do you view young teenagers of color when you are walking or seeing them on the corner or on the subway, especially if you are alone?
- Describe a situation where you found yourself stereotyping a person or group of people. Were you surprised by your own ability to stereotype people?
- Are there any connections to Ortiz Cofer’s growing up Latina, particularly Puerto Rican and your experiences growing up Latina in New York? (Latina women only answer the question)
- Has anything changed in terms of perception of the majority culture towards those of us who are Black and/or Latino/Latina? If so, what?
- As a future manager, what specific lessons have you learned from these two articles?
Based on your responses, type a reflective essay on questions #7, #8, #9, and #11.
- The assignment is an essay, which means that you are typing a report in a separate Word document.
- Please follow the correct formatting of a report using the MLA format. The link to the MLA format is: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/research_and_citation/mla_style/mla_formatting_and_style_guide/mla_general_format.html
- You must include a title for your essay. Your essay must have a point of view. You are not just simply answering questions. You are typing a reflective essay in which you have read two articles and answered questions raised in the essay.
- REMEMBER THAT YOU ARE TYPING A REFLECTIVE ESSAY AND NOT A RESEARCH PAPER. PLEASE DO NOT INCLUDE A WORKS CITED PAGE.
- The essay must be up to THREE PAGES. The paper can be typed fewer than three pages. Anything typed on the fourth page, I will not read.
Submit the Final Individual Assignment via the Assignment link by 11 P.M. MONDAY, MAY 10, 2021.