Analytical paper (750 – 1000 words) – Students will compose an analytic essay, which presents and analyzes an argument. The student will explore the concepts of freedom, power, equality, justice, and/ or civic life, and their evolution, in the context of the U.S. (DJC 100.1). The student will identify and define the utility, virtues, responsibilities, and values of justice in the U.S. (DJC 100.2).
The idea of the American Dream is as old as the country itself. As we have seen in various texts, not everyone achieves the American Dream, making it more a dream than a reality. Yet in his I Have a Dream speech, Martin Luther King Jr. inspired his listeners to think anew about the heritage and promise of America. Additionally, in his Ted Talk, George Takei celebrates the American legacy of democracy and heroism.
Do you think everyone has equal access to the American Dream? In your essay, take a position on this question. What are some of today’s obstacles to achieving the American Dream? Which groups of people have trouble attaining the American Dream”? Why? Use at least three texts to support your ideas. One of these texts must be Between the World and Me. The selected song from the Song Discussion can also serve as one of the three texts.
Three textes from what we studied in the class
First one should be Between the World and Me.
And the 2 others should be on of those
- Let America Be America Again (Links to an external site.)
- George Takei Ted Talk (Links to an external site.)
(Links to an external site.)
- I Have a Dream (Links to an external site.)
- Ballot or Bullet
- Why I Want a Wife (Links to an external site.)
- President Obama’s speech on race (Links to an external site.)
- Poem on Statue of Liberty
- Sojourner Truth – Ain’t I a Woman (Links to an external site.)
- Reagan – Labor Day Speech (Links to an external site.)