Assessment 3: Case Study: HIM and Market Forces
Write a paper (3-5 pages) that analyzes market forces present in a HIM case study and evaluates how the HIM and other health care professionals respond to the market forces. Include recommendations for improvement in the analysis.
Now that you have completed almost half of the course assessments, it is a good time to reflect on the lessons learned. So far we have focused on the U.S. health care system, HIM, and various health care team roles. With this assignment, we shift our attention to market forces affecting the U.S. health care system. Examples of market forces include: technology, health care costs, federal and state laws and policies, insurance, patient safety, quality care, population health, and many more. Here we will focus specifically on those market forces that directly impact HIM and the health care team. You will analyze a case study and then present your analysis of the market forces at play in the case study and the way the HIM and other health care professionals responded to the market forces presented.
Demonstration of Proficiency
By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the course competencies through the following assessment scoring guide criteria:
- Competency 1: Describe various types of health professionals and their training and practice settings.
- Identify the health care professionals and allied health workers affected by the market forces in the case study.
- Analyze the effectiveness of HIM interactions with other health care professionals and allied health workers affected by the market forces in the case study, including improvement recommendations.
- Competency 2: Identify market forces that affect health care systems.
- Analyze how each identified market force affects the U.S. health care system and HIM.
- Evaluate how effectively HIM roles responded to the market forces, including improvement recommendations.
- Competency 4: Communicate in a professional manner.
- Include a minimum of three references to current, scholarly, and authoritative sources in APA format.
- Create a clear, well organized, professional document that is generally free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
View the following media piece to see how HIM professionals, pharmacists, and other health care professionals collaborate together to respond to particular market forces.
Please consider questions such as these as you view the media:
- What market forces are involved in the scenario?
- What is happening behind the scenes?
- What role does HIM play in this situation?
- What other health care professionals are involved behind the scenes?
HIM professionals need to collaborate with other health care professionals when responding to various market forces. For this assessment, analyze what occurred in the case study and suggest additional recommendations HIM could make to improve the quality of patient care, reduce costs, and improve overall population health.
Include the following headings and answer the questions underneath each heading in your three-to five-page case study analysis paper. Support your analysis with examples from the media piece and with references to current, scholarly, or authoritative sources. Also, use accurate terminology in your analysis.
Market Forces Affecting the U.S. Health System (1 page)
- Which market forces affecting the U.S. health system and HIM are at play in the media case study?
- How do the market forces you identified in the case study affect the U.S. health system?
- Specifically, how do these market forces affect HIM?
Market Forces and HIM (1 to 2 paragraphs)
- What roles did HIM play in the market forces you identified in the case study?
- How effectively did HIM professionals respond to the market forces?
- How could these HIM professionals increase their contribution to the response to the market forces?
- What two to three specific recommendations for improvement would you make?
Market Forces and Health Care Professionals (1 to 2 page)
- In the case study, which health care professionals and allied health workers were affected by the market forces you identified?
Market Forces and Interactions Among Health Care Professionals (1 to 2 pages)
- How effectively did HIM professionals interact with the other health care professionals and allied health workers affected by the case study market forces you identified?
- How could HIM professionals improve these interactions?
- What two to three specific recommendations would you make?
- Length: 3- to 5-double spaced pages.
- Font: Use Times New Roman, 12 point
- References: Include a minimum of three references to current, scholarly, and authoritative sources in your paper. Follow APA formatting and style guidelines for your citations and references.
- Writing: Create a clear, well organized, professional document that is generally free from errors in grammar, punctuation, and spelling.
Resources: Market Forces
- Edlow, R. C., O.D. (2016). Practice consolidation: Forces not of nature, but of government, demographics, economics, and technology. The Journal of Medical Practice Management: MPM, 31(5), 313–316.
- Keller, M. E., Kelling, S. E., Cornelius, D. C., Oni, H. A., & Bright, D. R. (2015, Fall). Enhancing practice efficiency and patient care by sharing electronic health records. Perspectives in Health Information Management, 1–8.
- Vitalari, N. P. (2016). Prospects for the future of the U.S. healthcare industry: A speculative analysis. American Journal of Medical Research, 3(2), 7–52.