Research paper (Genetic disorder topic) 50 points 3 ½ to 4 pages long
This paper will require you to research a specific genetic condition. You will need to choose one genetic condition/disorder from the list below:
- Prader-Willi syndrome: This is a genetic disorder which includes of physical, intellectual and behavioral challenges.
- Angelman syndrome: This is a genetic disorder which physical and intellectual challenges
- Cystic fibrosis: This is a genetic disorder characterized by health problems with lungs and digestive system (Links to an external site.).
- Fragile X syndrome: This is a genetic disorder which includes intellectual disability, behavioral and learning challenges as well as certain physical characteristics.
- Rett syndrome: This is a genetic disorder affecting the nervous system, causing intellectual and physical disability.
- Tay-Sachs disease: This is a genetic disorder that leads to the premature death of young children.
- Turner syndrome: This is a genetic disorder affecting some females, it includes hearing, vision and infertility issues.
- Huler’s syndrome:This is a genetic disorder affecting intellect and has physical features. Premature death.
- Williams syndrome: This is a genetic disorder affecting development and health.
- “Cry of the cat.” This is a genetic disorder which includes severe intellectual delay , microcephaly, cat-like cry and distinctive facial features .
- Phenylketonuria (PKU): This is a genetic disorder which includes if not treated): Mental deterioration, hypopigmentation (blond hair and blue eyes)
- Sickle Cell Anemia: This is a genetic disorder which affects physical health.
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Syndrome caused by the exposure to alcohol during pregnancy
- Tourette’s Syndrome: It is a neurological disorder characterized by repetitive, involuntary physical and verbal tics.
What you need to do
After you select one genetic disorder from the list, you will need to answer the questions listed below.
How to do the research:
You need to use two different professional resources such as professional books and/or professional journal articles. Access the LAVC Library (Links to an external site.) to find the sources , you will need to type the name of the genetic syndrome under search tool and it will give you many different choices for you to select.
Very important: You must use in text citations (Links to an external site.) with each one of your answers, otherwise you will not get a good grade.
Questions to answer: 3 ½ to 4 pages long
- Which genetic disorder or syndrome did you select?
- Explain the history and causes of the syndrome (when it was discovered, how, by whom, where?)
- How can the syndrome be diagnosed? (tests? What type?)
- What are the biological characteristics and symptoms (learning challenges, intellectual delays, language delays, etc.…) of this syndrome?
- What is the prognosis? (is there a cure, can it be improved, can be prevented, does it get worse, life expectancy? etc.)
- Bibliography: List the two books or journals used for your paper..
- Did you use in text citations for each of your answers? Did you follow the question and answer format? If you answered, no, then revise and redo 🙂
Please use APA format to list your bibliography: Example: Bibliography: Allen, D., Cowdery, G. (2014), The Exceptional Child. Inclusion in Early Childhood Education, New York, Delmar Learning
Feel free to include any images if you want, not necessary, only if you want.
Save your document and submit it via this assignment by uploading it.