Care expressed and practiced in professional nursing models provides a way of looking at the nursing role from the aspect of care. It may seem excessive to consider aspects of caring and compassion in nursing. However, precisely because it IS nursing makes it crucial to our continual progress of defining and upholding one of our central professional principles.
Address each of these items:
- Reflect on a caring and compassionate experience with a patient or family encountered in your practice.
- How was your compassion demonstrated?
- How does your thinking about compassion expand to include self and colleagues?
- Reflect on the iCARE Self-Assessment and share an insight related to this discussion.
Please complete the iCARE Self-Assessment (Links to an external site.) and download for your own use and information. The self-assessment is not a graded item.
Effective communication is a staple of our healthcare culture. Working with patients, peers, and interprofessional teams requires that nurses manage information and evidence toward influencing safe and positive patient outcomes.
Please address the following:
- Describe caring attributes of the culture where you currently practice.
- Which attributes stand out as having significant influence on patients, nurses, and other healthcare professionals?
- How do you see effective communication relating to patient outcomes in this setting?
- What is the evidence for this?
- QUESTION THREE
- Change is part of our daily healthcare environment. Clinical nursing judgments based on quality and safety, as well as protocols and standards, reflect our patient-centered care values.
- What steps could you take to develop more resilience in your practice setting?
- How might you communicate a change in practice to patients and nursing peers?
- QUESTION FOUR Directions
- Please review the infographic as way to guide you in getting started with your assignment: Developing an Assignment with Integrity (Links to an external site.)
- View a short tutorial with tips for completing this assignment: Healthcare Policy Assignment Tutorial (Links to an external site.)
- (Links to an external site.)This assignment will be in the format of a PowerPoint presentation (Bullet points may be used).
- You are educating your peers through this presentation regarding a federal bill you believe may be of interest to nurses.
- Go to https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/subjects/health/6130 (Links to an external site.)
- Choose a health-related federal bill of interest. Read through the bill and develop a summary in your own words. Include the bill number and name.
- Here is a link to our U.S. legislative process (bill to law) for review, if needed: https://www.congress.gov/legislative-process (Links to an external site.)
- For those not familiar with the development of a PowerPoint slideshow, the following link to the Microsoft Office 365 Training (Links to an external site.) may be helpful.