Issue Brief (W5)
Through this assignment, we will combine your learning from the Current Event Analysis and Policy Case Study. I want you to identify a different problem or issue (local or state) that needs political attention through policy action. Once you’ve identified the issue, you will be constructing an issue brief on the proposed policy action. Your 3-5 page issue brief should be constructed using the attached template and should cover the following sections:
- Brief history of the issue
- General accounting of the current problem (stated in a couple of sentences)
- The options available for addressing the problem
- Whether there are current applicable policies that need to be expanded, adjusted or eliminated
- What actors are currently involved with the issue and where support currently exists
- What your recommendations are and how you would propose moving the policy forward (i.e., what support needs to be built, what channels does it need to go through, what of the options listed above are most feasible, etc)
Do not complete the template attached below with bullets or broad lists. This should be a detailed analysis of each element discussed above. Write this issue brief as if you were handing it to the state governor, the head of an agency, etc. They should understand your policy, recommendations and the policymaking process of this issue through review of your issue brief. It shouldn’t need elaboration from you.
Be sure to draw from our course readings and to utilize at least 3 scholarly sources. A list of good online journals is available in our online library.
Identify another, different policy issue that impacts or interests you. This policy issue can be at the local or state level, but that you have not already submitted. Research the policy context, implementation, effectiveness, and evaluate it using the criteria laid out in your content(and practiced in the writing assignments). Analyze the policy, and then draw conclusions and make recommendations about the policy’s future and effectiveness. Present your findings to the class by uploading an entertaining PowerPoint briefing, video, Knovio, YouTube, podcast or Prezi presentation (minimum 10 slides with images on each slide) to the Week 8 discussion. Please also upload it to this assignment section by the end of Week 7. If it is accessible via a link, please make sure it is publicly accessible and include it in the text box so I can access. The classroom will only allow 10MB in an attachment and PPT briefings may exceed that. Please plan accordingly.
About the Federal Reserve System. (n.d.). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/structu…
Affordable Care Act (ACA) – HealthCare.gov Glossary. (n.d.). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.healthcare.gov/glossary/affordable-car…
Amadeo, K. (2017, May 25). Current U.S. Federal Budget Deficit: 4 Reasons the U.S. Deficit Is Out of Control. The Balance. Retrieved from https://www.thebalance.com/current-u-s-federal-budget-deficit-3305783.
Amadeo, K. (2017, July 1). What Is the National Debt? 3 Ways to Visualize the National Debt. The Balance. Retrieved from https://www.thebalance.com/what-is-the-national-debt-4031393.
Amadeo, K. (2017, August 30). What Was Obama’s Stimulus Package? Retrieved from https://www.thebalance.com/what-was-obama-s-stimulus-package-3305625.
Centers for Disease Control (CDC). (2017). Our History – Our Story, 2017. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/about/history/index.html.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. (2017, April 26). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.cdc.gov/
Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services. (2017, November 02). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.cms.gov/
Exec. Order No. Presidential Executive Order Promoting Healthcare Choice and Competition Across the United States, 3 C.F.R. (2017). https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/1…
Federal Reserve Act. (n.d.). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/fract.h…
FRED Data Practice: “ U.S. deficit and debt ” Objectives. (n.d.). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://files.stlouisfed.org/files/htdocs/pageone-…
Health Resources and Service Information. (2017). About HRSA. Retrieved from https://www.hrsa.gov/about/index.html.
Kaiser Health Tracking Poll – August 2017: The Politics of ACA Repeal and Replace Efforts. (2017, September 18). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.kff.org/health-reform/poll-finding/kai…
King v. Burwell. (n.d.). Oyez. Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.oyez.org/cases/2014/14-114
Medicaid Home. (2017, November 21). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.medicaid.gov/
Medicaid.gov. (n.d.). Affordable Care Act. Retrieved from https://www.medicaid.gov/affordable-care-act/index.html.
Medicaid.gov. (n.d.). Eligibility. Retrieved from https://www.medicaid.gov/medicaid/eligibility.
National Committee to Preserve Social Security and Medicare. (2017). Fast Facts About Medicare. Retrieved from http://www.ncpssm.org/Medicare/MedicareFastFacts.
National Federation of Independent Businesses v. Sebelius. (n.d.). Oyez. Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.oyez.org/cases/2011/11-393
National Institutes of Health. (2017). Frequently Asked Questions: About NIH. Retrieved from https://www.nih.gov/about-nih/frequently-asked-questions.
National Institutes of Health. (n.d.). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.nih.gov/
News and Announcements. (n.d.). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.hrsa.gov/
Office of Management and Budget. (2017, September 30). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.whitehouse.gov/omb
Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, 42 U.S.C. § 18001 (2010).
Policy Basics: Introduction to the Federal Budget Process. (2017, October 10). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.cbpp.org/research/policy-basics-introd…
State Children’s Health Insurance Program. (n.d.). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.benefits.gov/benefits/benefit-details/…
The Presidents. (2017, March 08). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.whitehouse.gov/1600/Presidents
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. (n.d.). HHS.gov. Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.hhs.gov/
U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA). (2017). What does FDA do? Retrieved from https://www.fda.gov/AboutFDA/Transparency/Basics/ucm194877.htm.
U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time. (n.d.). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from http://www.usdebtclock.org/
What’s Medicare? (n.d.). Retrieved November 22, 2017, from https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change-plans/deci…
Floyd, I. (2017). TANF Cash Benefits Have Fallen by More Than 20 Percent in Most States and Continue to Erode. Retrieved from https://www.cbpp.org/research/family-income-suppor…
Internal Revenue Service. (2017). Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC). Retrieved from https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit.
Office of President Barack Obama. (2012). Race to the Top. Retrieved from https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov/issues/education/k-12/race-to-the-top.
Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction. (2011). No Child Left Behind Act. State of Washington. Retrieved from http://www.k12.wa.us/esea/NCLB.aspx.
Social Security Administration. (2017). Understanding the Benefits. Retrieved from https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10024.pdf.
Social Security Administration. (2017). Supplemental Security Income (SSI). Retrieved from https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-11000.pdf.
Servicemen’s Readjustment Act (1944). Retrieved from https://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc.php?flash=false&d…
Thomas Jefferson, The Works of Thomas Jefferson, Federal Edition (New York and London, G.P. Putnam’s Sons, 1904-5). Vol. 11. Retrieved from http://oll.libertyfund.org/titles/807
Social Welfare History Project (2016). Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965. Social Welfare History Project. Retrieved from http://socialwelfare.library.vcu.edu/programs/educ…
Sumner, Kandice. (2015). Kandice Sumner at TEDxBeaconStreet How America’s public schools keep kids in poverty. Retrieved from https://www.ted.com/talks/kandice_sumner_how_ameri…
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). (2017). Am I Eligible for SNAP? Retrieved from https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligibility
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). (2017). Retrieved from https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/eligible-food-items
TAP ™ : The System for Teacher and Student Advancement. (2015). Teacher Training, Evaluation, and Compensation. Retrieved from https://ies.ed.gov/ncee/wwc/Docs/InterventionRepor…
Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF) . (2017). Retrieved from https://www.acf.hhs.gov/ofa/programs/tanf
US Census Bureau (2017) Income and Poverty in the United States (2016). Retrieved from https://www.census.gov/library/publications/2017/d… .
U.S. Department of Agriculture. (2017). Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP). Food and Nutrition Service. Retrieved from https://www.fns.usda.gov/snap/supplemental-nutrition-assistance-program-snap.
U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development. (n.d.). Housing Choice Vouchers Fact Sheet. Retrieved from https://portal.hud.gov/hudportal/HUD?src=/topics/housing_choice_voucher_program_section_8.
- Accountability in US Education: Applying Lessons from K-12 Experience to Higher Education
- From paper to electronic: Food stamps, social security, and the changing functionality of government benefits
- Making public policy: The new philanthropists and american education
- The politics of the common core assessments: Why states are quitting the PARCC and smarter balanced testing consortia.(partnership for assessment of readiness for college and careers)
- Reassessing “City limits” in urban public policy
- Social media and child welfare: Policy, training, and the risks and benefits from the administrator’s perspective
EnergyFromShale.org. (2017) What Is Fracking? Retrieved from http://www.what-is-fracking.com/what-is-hydraulic-fracturing/.
Hasset, K. A., & Mathur, A. (2013). Benefits of hydraulic fracking. Retrieved from http://www.aei.org/publication/benefits-of-hydraul…
H.R.2048, 114th Cong. (2015) (enacted). USA FREEDOM Act of 2015. Retrieved from https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-congress/house…
H.R.3162, 107th Cong. (2001) (enacted). Uniting and Strengthening America by Providing Appropriate Tools Required to Intercept and Obstruct Terrorism (USA PATRIOT ACT) Act of 2001. Retrieved from https://www.congress.gov/bill/107th-congress/house…
Member Agencies. (n.d.). Retrieved 2017 from https://www.intelligencecareers.gov/icmembers.html
National Security Strategy (2015). Retrieved from http://nssarchive.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/20…
Office of the U.S. President. (2015) National Security Strategy. Retrieved fromhttp://nssarchive.us/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/20…
Safe Drinking Water Act (SDWA). (2017). Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/sdwa
Summary of the Clean Air Act. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-clean…
Summary of the Clean Water Act. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-clean…
Summary of the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (Superfund). (2017). Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-compr…
Summary of the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-feder…
Summary of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-resou…
Summary of the Toxic Substances Control Act. (2016). Retrieved from https://www.epa.gov/laws-regulations/summary-toxic…
Trump, D. J. (2017). Statement by President Trump on the Paris Climate Accord. Address presented in The White House, Washington, D.C. Retrieved from https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2017/0…
U.S. Department of Homeland Security. (2017). Retrieved from https://www.dhs.gov/
- Environmental Security is Homeland Security: Climate Disruption as the Ultimate Disaster Risk Multiplier
- Grand strategy vs. emergent strategy in the conduct of foreign policy
- Incentives or mandates? determinants of the renewable energy policies of U.S. states, 1970-2012.
- Natural gas and spillover from the US clean power plan into the paris agreement
- A perspective on clean power and the future of US energy politics and policy.
- Scientific basis for environmental regulation: Public disclosure and federal rulemaking and advisory activities
- What’s the problem? frameworks and methods from policy analysis for analyzing complex problems
- Quiz4: Write about military retirement and tweak it to meat this week requirements.
- Civic tech and public policy decision making. PS, Political Science & Politics, 50(3), 764-771
- Degrees of Engagement: Using Cultural Worldviews to Explain Variations in Public Preferences for Engagement in the Policy Process
- Emotion-driven negative policy bubbles
- Evidence-based policymaking and the public interest: lessons in legitimacy
- How Citizens can have a voice in Policymaking
- An innovative, open, interoperable citizen engagement cloud platform for smart government and users’ interaction
- Motivations to Contribute to Public Goods: Beyond rational choice economics.
- The political use of knowledge in the policy process
- Saint-Germain, M. (2002) Decision-Making in Public Policy. California State University, Long Beach. Retrieved from http://web.csulb.edu/~msaintg/ppa590/decision.htm.
- Slack, B. (2017). The Policy Process. Hofstra University. Retrieved from https://people.hofstra.edu/geotrans/eng/methods/ch9c2en.html.