Option #2: Procurement in Project Management
NOTE: This option will focus on procurement planning within projects and include discussion and analysis of the procurement manager’s role within the project. You may want to select this option if you are majoring in project management.
For this option, you will write a paper presenting a project procurement scenario from the project management perspective (example – you are leading a project that needs to purchase materials, services, or resources).
The paper will be based on procurement as defined by PMBOK®. You must include the following elements:
- Plan Procurement Management
- Conduct Procurements
- Control Procurements
- Close Procurements
Your paper must have:
- An introduction. Use your introduction to summarize and define your topic, including a clear statement of the procurement goal. Also, be sure to properly organize your writing and include other headings/subheadings for the body of your work associated with each of the bulleted items above.
- The discussion or body. The body of the paper must include:
- A discussion of the implications of proposed solutions for procurement and contracts.
- A discussion of how procurement works within project teams to facilitate the needs of projects.
- A discussion of how procurement works within a global environment to facilitate the needs of projects.
- Your evaluation and conclusion regarding possible methods of managing or addressing the problem raised by your opinion on the issues (supported by research).
- Current, relevant research from at least 6-8 credible sources that are not used as readings in this course. At least three references must be peer-reviewed, scholarly sources and the rest may be trade or professional procurement management You may certainly use your textbook and course readings but these do not count as part of the required 6-8 sources. The CSU Global Library is a good place to find your resources. Cite and reference all sources used.
- A conclusion.
The paper is expected to provide thoughtful analysis on the topic. Relate your paper to broader procurement and contract management issues, as discussed throughout the course. You are encouraged to add your own opinions, but those opinions should be carefully considered and supported by evidence. You are building on the work you’ve completed in the discussion forums and Critical Thinking Assignments. Be sure to incorporate feedback you have received along the way.
Note that this project has two preliminary deliverables or Portfolio Milestones:
- By the end of Week 3, you should secure approval from your instructor regarding your scenario.
- By the end of Week 5, submit a detailed outline of your Portfolio Project paper for review and feedback from your instructor.
- You will be expected to account for the instructor’s feedback in your final version of the paper.