Advocating With the Community
Establishing rapport, building networks, and creating collaborative partnerships within communities are important components of the work that human service professionals do when advocating for children and their families. For this assignment, you will assume that you are a human service professional working in a community and advocating for a social issue that impacts children and their families.
Please be sure to address all of the following in your assignment:
- Describe a fictional community, or one that already exists, and assume that you are doing work within this community as a human service professional.
- In your description, provide information related to the demographics, history, culture, and economics of the community.
- Determine what type of social issue related to children and their families that the community is struggling with and that you will be advocating for as a human service professional.
- Based on the specific information pertinent to the community that you described, examine at least two ways you will establish and build rapport with members of the community.
- In your answer, explore how you will build trust with community members and how you will involve citizens in building rapport. Make sure the information you discuss is specific to the social issue you are looking to address.
- Determine how you will build networks in the community you described that are specific to the advocacy work you will be doing for the social issue you discussed.
- Assess how you will build collaborative partnerships in the community.
- If your community is fictional, make up organizations that would be beneficial to partner with. If you are using a real community, research organizations, or other groups, that would be beneficial to partner with.
- Justify whether or not you will seek to establish multicultural collaborations in your community.
- If you do determine these collaborations are appropriate, explore why they are beneficial with regard to your overall goal to advocate for the social issue you chose.