You are an IT support specialist at a help desk for a large company. Recently, the company created a knowledge base that IT support specialists can refer to when a user calls in with technology issues. The knowledge base has been helpful because the help desk receives many tickets and calls for what turn out to be the same issues. When IT support specialists have documents to refer to during a call or the review of a ticket, the knowledge base increases efficiencies and provides users with more consistent and higher quality support.
As an IT support specialist at the company’s help desk, your project is to create documentation that will be added to the company’s knowledge base. This document will speak to the issues that users have experienced frequently within the past 30 days. To complete this activity, review the five ticket submissions. Then you will use your troubleshooting skills to assess the underlying causes of the users’ reported issues and how they should be resolved.
Troubleshooting Process: Create a document that explains what you would do for the first five steps of the troubleshooting process to resolve the issue stated in each ticket.
- The first step in the troubleshooting process is to gather information. Explain how you would identify the problems that users most commonly experience and call the IT help desk for, given the scenario.
- To explain how you would identify the problems, you might want to write what questions you would ask to gather the information you need to troubleshoot successfully.
- Since the second step of the troubleshooting process is to identify what has changed, explain how you would identify what may have changed in the system that may have caused the problems, based on the computing issue.
- Create a hypothesis of what you think the probable causes for the issues are, based on the information gathered in the first step. You may want to come up with several hypotheses.
- Although you are not physically going to determine the appropriate fix by testing your hypotheses, explain how you would test your hypotheses as a part of the troubleshooting process. You will also want to account for possible ramifications that you could cause by fixing the issue based on your hypotheses.
- Explain how you would implement the fix to verify the cause of the problem if you were the IT support specialist assisting users at the time.
- In some cases, it could be that the IT support specialist had already implemented the fix; explain if you would have handled it similarly or differently.
The following resources support your work on the project:
Reading: Five Tickets
Before starting your project, review the ticket submissions from the last 30 days to determine the common technical issues that users are experiencing.
This is all the information you will need.