A position in sports requires a depth of sports knowledge and understanding, education, commercialization, and experience, as well as a vast number of responsibilities. One of the best ways to learn more about the area of sports management and sports in society is to talk with someone in the field.
For this assignment, contact an athletic director, recreation manager, YMCA director, or someone who runs an athletic department. If that person is local, please schedule a time and date to meet with this person for a personal interview. If the individual is not local, you may use Skype, Join Me, Zoom, or any other conferencing application or even speak with the person on the phone, if needed.
You want to not only gain their perspective on each of the topics but also how each topic affects/impacts his or her decision-making in his or her role and within the sports industry. Create at least 12 questions to ask this individual (at least one question per topic) from the following sport-related topics:
- Sport Management Theories
- Responsibilities and Duties
- Best Practices in Sport
- Ethical Issues in Sport
- Globalization of Sport
- Media in Sports
- Sports and the Economy (money and power)
- Religion in Sports
- Politics in Sports
- Gender Equality in Sports
- Race and Ethnicity in Sports
- Children in Sports
Please provide the answers to the questions you ask the interviewee and include a section that discusses how this experience has helped you in your educational journey to better understand sport management and best practices in sport.
Include the following parts:
- Title page – Include the assignment title, Columbia Southern University, and your name.
- Introduction – Introduce your interviewee and describe their title/position for the purpose of this assignment.
- Body – List the questions and responses from your interview.
- Conclusion – Provide a brief conclusion wrapping up the elements of the interview, including how this experience has helped you in this section.
- Reference page – Include a reference page that lists your interviewee as a source (proper APA format for personal communication can be found below). If you use content from our textbook, be sure to include this as a source in your reference page.
Your paper must be at least two pages in length, not counting the title and reference page. Follow APA Style when constructing this assignment, including a title page, and in-text citations and references for all sources that are used.