Write a paper that summarizes the imperatives of communication to, and overviews the areas and contexts of disaster management as they relate to communication. This strategy paper should not be exceedingly lengthy. It needs to be a document that reads well and gets to the point, and provides guidance for communication.
- Use section headers to demarcate the areas of the paper.
- You may use bullet points to list key ideas, but you must explain your ideas with developed paragraphs.
- Work to pare down each section so that it covers the key areas, and expresses the importance and potential of communication for that area.
You may find this document/table helpful as you think through different areas of your strategy. Some ideas have been provided for you.
Baclground: Most people know that “communication is important”, and that communication failures can exacerbate and even cause disasters. But creating a robust communications strategy goes well beyond merely emphasizing one-way messages or simplistic ideas of what communication entails. Therefore, this assignment is intended to help you synthesize the main principles from this course, so that you can use them in future planning. As opposed to a plan, this strategic document will not be overly detailed. It will be a philosophical and practical guide that elaborates crucial ideas. Plans and technologies will continue to evolve, almost continuously. Your communication strategy will help you develop principles, reasoning, and attitudes that will undergird your approach to disaster management, even as the details of contexts and technologies change.
Your communication strategy will include multiple sections that you should be working on as you move through the modules of this course (the paper is due in Module 11). Your strategy should include the following:
Overarching Disaster Communication Principles
- What universal communication principles/fundamentals do I want to focus on?
- How can I incorporate a focus for diverse and vulnerable populations into my work?
- How will I approach ethical dilemmas from a communications standpoint?
- What expert advise/reminders can I employ when everything else fails?
- How will I emphasize the complexity and 2-way nature of communication?
- How will I emphasize the need for communication flexibility?
Some Specific Disaster Communication Areas:
- Overall communications philosophy, best practices, and guidelines
- Traditional media
- Use of social media
- Use of other technologies to alert publics
- Use of technologies to communicate with responders
- Working & Teaming with other groups/organizations