The Assignment (Evidence-Based Project)
Part 2: Advanced Levels of Clinical Inquiry and Systematic Reviews
Create a 6- to 7-slide PowerPoint presentation in which you do the following:
- Identify and briefly describe your chosen clinical issue of interest.
- Describe how you developed a PICO(T) question focused on your chosen clinical issue of interest.
- Identify the four research databases that you used to conduct your search for the peer-reviewed articles you selected.
- Provide APA citations of the four relevant peer-reviewed articles at the systematic-reviews level related to your research question. If there are no systematic review level articles or meta-analysis on your topic, then use the highest level of evidence peer reviewed article.
- Describe the levels of evidence in each of the four peer-reviewed articles you selected, including an explanation of the strengths of using systematic reviews for clinical research. Be specific and provide examples.
PICO(T) Topic and Question
Nursing burnout is one of the major topics in the world today. Many nurses have been suffering from PTSD, because of COVID. The past year has been by far stressful and has consume several nurses and healthcare providers. Job burnout is a state of physical or emotional exhaustion that also involves a sense of reduced accomplishment and loss of personal identity (Mayo Clinic Staff, 2018). Nurses have suffered from being overworked with high patient acuities with high nurse to patient ratios. With recent reports of pervasive “burnout” and depression among healthcare professionals and the pressure that many influential healthcare organizations exert on clinicians to deliver high-quality, safe care under increasingly heavy patient loads, the use and teaching of EBP may be key not only to providing outstanding care to patients and saving healthcare dollars, but also to reducing the escalating turnover rate in certain healthcare professions (Melnyk & Fineout-Overholt, 2018). This is devastating, yet important, due to the impact this has on patient care and safety. My topic of nurse burnout/turnover formed into a PICO(T) question is:
P: Registered Nurse’s in the ED
I: Nurse burnout and turnover rate
C: Other areas of nursing
O: Patient safety and satisfaction
Question: Does Registered Nurse burnout/turnover in the ED impact patient safety and satisfaction?
Databases and Results
When searching for this topic the databases used were MEDLINE, PubMed, and EBSCO through the Walden Library. The search terms used for MEDLINE and PubMed were nurse burnout narrowing the search to 5 years, humans, journal article, English, and full text. That generated approximately 813 articles. After incorporating the Boolean terms AND nurse turnover, it then narrowed the search articles to 402. Through the Walden Library, the search terms nurse burnout in the ED were used, narrowing to peer-reviewed only and full text. This generated 8 articles. To improve these results strategies such as incorporating more Boolean terms, using more specific search terms, and trialing more databases could benefit in a more efficient and effective search.
Ultimately, nurse’s burnout is a major issue in the world today. Clinicians with burnout may have impaired attention, memory, and executive function that decrease their recall and attention to detail placing them and their patients at higher risk for errors and safety (Heath, 2018). Healthy employees promote healthy patients. This topic is a major issue on a national level. The nurse turnover rate has increased where this nurse is employed, leading to short staffing, thus increased workload and unhappy patients.