The coaching profession is still relatively new and unregulated. Therefore, it is particularly important that coaches contribute to the profession’s growing credibility by adhering to ethical guidelines, defined by various professional coaching organizations, to address issues such as role clarification, boundaries, confidentiality, and objectivity. Being aware of such ethical issues and how to appropriately address each helps to protect the integrity of the coaching process as well as the coach-client relationship.
Equally important to ethical conduct is the ability to effectively work with diverse clients. Understanding and appreciating the diversity of clients is paramount to effective coaching because it helps to explain how and why clients react to particular situations. Such an understanding also helps to inform strategies coaches use with clients.
For this Assignment, you will apply standards of ethical conduct to ethical issues in a case study. You also will reflect on cultural considerations you might make as a coach in the case study as well as how you might address each.
To prepare for this Assignment:
- Review this week’s Learning Resources related to ethical issues and to diversity in coaching. Pay particular attention to the ethical responsibilities of coaches in addition to ethical issues that may arise during coaching. Also, consider ethical considerations related to coaching diverse clients and cultures.
- Review the article “Career Coaching: Practice, Training, Professional, and Ethical Issues.” Focus on ethical guidelines and issues, as well as multicultural considerations related to career coaching.
- Review the codes of ethics on the BCC Code of Ethics and American Psychological Association websites. Reflect on the standards of ethical conduct for and related to coaching.
- Review the articles “Executive Coaching in a Cross-Cultural Context” and “Executive Coaching for Diversity: An Opportunity for Leaders to Learn and Change” as well as the course media piece “Ethics and Diversity” with Diane Brennan. Consider the role of culture and diversity in coaching. Also, think about considerations related to coaching diverse individuals and teams.
- Review the case study for Week 4 found below. Assuming you are the coach, identify the ethical issues in the case study. Think about how you might address each, using standards of ethical conduct from the BCC and APA websites. Then consider specific diversity considerations you might make as a coach in the case study, and think about how you might address each.
Week 4 Case Study: Ethics and Diversity
Janell is a 38-year-old African American female with a respectable drive for success and a natural ability to inspire her employees. Beating out many of her colleagues, she recently was promoted as the lead project manager in a large, global, technical corporation called Worldtron, Inc., which is headquartered in the United States.
After only a few weeks as a lead project manager, Janell was called for an emergency videoconference with members of a small technical firm, Jupiter, Inc. located in Japan, that Worldtron, Inc., had newly acquired. The videoconference was called because Jupiter, Inc., missed a deadline for a critical element needed in project production. It appears that the Jupiter, Inc., project manager, Ami, had misunderstood the communications regarding the scope of work required. As a result, Janell immediately flew to Japan to temporarily help Ami with operations at Jupiter, Inc. The news of her arrival was not well received by Ami or her team because they attributed the miscommunications to Janell.
After 3 weeks of working with Ami and her team, Janell, concluded that there was resistance on the part of Ami and her team to accept project management directives from Janell. As a result, the project is rapidly falling behind and is in danger of missing the deliverable date, which would cost Worldtron, Inc., millions of dollars. Janell is feeling pressured by these complex issues but thinks she needs to continue to strengthen Jupiter, Inc., so that their work on the project can be completed. To do this, she needs to access her leadership skills, recognize the problem, and encourage the strengths and capabilities of this site. Also, she needs to find a way to work collaboratively with Ami and her team.
Worldtron, Inc., hired you in the past as an external executive coach to work with Janell over the course of 8 months. A senior executive at Worldtron, Inc., called you recently to hire you to work with Ami and Janell in this matter. Most of your global executive coaching is done virtually, via telephone or web conferencing. The senior executive also asked you to describe some of the past details regarding your work with Janell. How should you proceed?
The Assignment: (1–2 pages)
- Describe the ethical issues related to coaching in the case study. Then explain how you might address each using specific standards for ethical conduct from the American Psychological Association and BCC Code of Ethics.
- Describe at least one diversity consideration related to working with clients in the case study. Then explain how you might address such considerations. Be specific.
Support your Assignment with specific references to all resources used in its preparation. Provide a reference list for all sources used, including those in the Learning Resources for this course.