- Thinking back to your own childhood, do you think that you had the freedom to express your gender identity in a way that felt comfortable to you or do you feel like a particular gender identity was imposed on you?
- Do you think that understanding gender identity and sexuality on a spectrum with many variations rather than as dichotomous (e.g. man/woman, gay/straight) is useful? Why or why not?
- How do you think children could be raised so that they are more comfortable with different gender identities and sexual orientations? What might be some obstacles to this happening?
- Finally, what factors growing up and currently do you think impact your body image?
Remember to review the instructions for Discussion Boards to ensure that you do well on this assignment.
Note: I am a transgender male who is Vietnamese-American; therefore, had little to no freedom to express my gender identity in a way that I felt comfortable with. I was supposed to fit in with cis-female norms. Factors growing up and currently that impact my body image is societal norms and growing up with the wrong body parts. Please utilize additional articles found on the internet to strengthen the argument for questions 1 and 4 given this information.
Discussion board instructions:
* MINIMUM OF 250 WORDS.
* THOUGHTFULLY REPLY TO THE PROMPT IN THE QUESTION.
* PROVIDE IN-TEXT CITATIONS AND A REFERENCES PAGE.
* INCLUDE A WORD COUNT IN PARENTHESIS AT THE END OF THE PARAGRAPH.
* YOU NEED TO CITE AT LEAST ONE OF THE READINGS OR VIDEOS FROM THIS WEEK AND ADDRESS THE CONTENT TO ENSURE THAT YOU HAVE COMPLETED READING/WATCHING THIS WEEK’S CONTENT BEFORE ANSWERING THE QUESTION. (ARTICLE PROVIDED BELOW).
* When enforcing gender norms turns violent | PBS NewsHour OR 2021 Officially Becomes Worst Year in Recent History for LGBTQ State Legislative Attacks as Unprecedented Number of States Enact Record-Shattering Number of Anti-LGBTQ Measures Into Law – HRC OR Trans Folks, Body Image, and Eating Disorders: Why We Must Shift the Narrative – Everyday Feminism OR Gender-Reveal Disasters Endanger Lives—For What? – The Atlantic
Book for this course is provided below if needed as well.